From 25 to 27 January 2020, seven SCI Friends made a short trip to the Hanseatic city of Riga (Reval). The center of gravity of the Hanze, sometimes also called guild, was the cooperation between traders in the North and Baltic Sea, also called German Hanze, and dates from 1343. The trade consisted of metals, grain, hides, wool, wine and also Baltic wood. Wood that was used for ships, houses and for panels for paintings the Baltic oak.
In 2006, SCI documented the collection with 274 Dutch and Flemish masters in Riga. At the time it was called Museum of Foreign Art, and was located in the castle. After the very successful renovation of the building, the museum is now housed in the former fair: Art Museum Riga Bourse.
Sunday January 26 we were welcomed by director Daiga Upeniece in the presence of the Dutch Ambassador Govert Jan Bijl de Vroe. After a brief introduction about the history of the collection, the collectors; rich merchants, doctors, mayors. This can be seen in the auditorium. With just under a hundred paintings, the landscapes, seascapes and interiors, intimacy wins over the big gesture.
Want to become a Friend of SCI too? That is possible here!