The State Museum of Smolenks, close to the border of Belarus, was founded in 1888 and is now one of the largest Statemuseums of Russia. The foundation for the collection in the museum was layed by the founders; the princes of Smolensk. In the 1930’s a remarkable trade was made with the Pushkin Museum in Moscow. The Pushkin received 30 Dutch and Flemish paintings in excellent quality, and the Smolensk Museum received a portrait made by Frans Hals, which later turned out to be a fake.
The collection consists of about 60 paintings. SCI has been able to study and document the collection, but unfortunately the grand depot was not accessible. Therefore, our study only contains 25 objects.